Monday, August 4, 2008

With Obama, a little uncertainty

You may not like the article below, but it does make some decent points. Even if some of them make McCain look good, and Obama look iffy.

I must admit the only thing I too know about Obama doing that I admire, was give a spectacular speech once. He even made me believe he was anti-war. But all the points he scored with me there he has since lost with his FISA betrayal, and his talk that he will continue to war-monger and throw infinite cash at the Pentagon much the same as Bush or McCain after elected. And he might not do much towards universal healthcare, either.

No, I'm not voting McCain. I preferred him over Bush in 2000 as the Republican candidate, especially when he bad-mouthed the Pat Robertson bunch. But since then he's turned completely around and kissed their ass.

I prefer Obama simply in the hope he'll be a better President than he says he will at the moment (yeah, that sounds dumb, but we ain't got many choices here, do we?). Where my vote is concerned, McCain is doomed for becoming Pat Robertson and the GOP's water boy, plus the real-life catastrophe his Republican party has made of America over the past 8 years. We pretty much KNOW terrible things are going to happen if the Republicans retain the office. With Obama, there's a least a little more uncertainty about how terrible things will get.

Obama's problem is many progressives like me — the bedrock of Democratic support — have had Obama puncture our hopes of him like a child's balloon, since getting the nomination. We're no longer as enthusiastic and willing to talk him up as before. When we go to the polls, we'll be hanging our heads and muttering "Goddamn it, I wish I had somebody better to vote for." That feeling could easily translate into lots of voters switching to a third party candidate (as helped Bush win in 2000). Or simply not showing up at the polls at all (as may also have helped Bush in 2000).

One of the strategies Republicans love most to use in elections is to dampen down voter enthusiasm for Democratic candidates, in order to reduce Democratic turnout. Since capturing the nomination, Obama has been doing that all on his own.

To me, that seems awfully stupid of him. But maybe he's really smart, like some say. In that case, maybe it's not stupidity on his part, but plain old arrogance or egotism instead.

Whichever it is, the end result could be the same: a Republican win in 2008.

Source

No comments: